Playing around with F# again
- Find Dan Grossman’s excellent Programming Languages course
- Fall in love with the ML way of modeling data
- Search for modern ML with tooling
- Find F#
- .NET nulls? Lots of Windows references. Every post I read has code that looks different.
- Find Go
- Like some of its “simplicity”, ability to create binaries, std lib, performance
- Really miss those ADTs, pattern matching, and lack of null
- Find Rust
- Like so many things, but miss GC
- Playing around with F# again
Things have gotten a lot better in F# land than when I tried it last. Granted, that was right before the .NET core switchover which was really painful–there was broken tooling all over the place. Everything is so much better now. The community is really awesome.
Some stuff I’ve been checking out:
- What I wish I knew when Learning F#: a very thoughtful post from Daniel Bachler.
- Stylish F#. I just started this. Next up is Scott Wlaschin’s Domain Modeling Made Functional
- Unhandled Exception Podcast: F# and Functional Programming: I’d pay to have weekly/monthly episodes of Scott Wlaschin, Isaac Abraham, and Ian Russell covering F# topics.